Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Here I Am". By: C.C.

" And, running to Eli, he said, 'Here I am, as you called me.' Eli said, 'I did not call. Go back and lie down.' So he went and lay down. And again Yahweh called, 'Samuel! Samuel!' He got up and went to Eli and said, 'Here I am, as you called me.' He replied, 'I did not call, my son; go back and lie down.' As yet, Samuel had no knowledge of Yahweh and the word of Yahweh had not yet been revealed to him. Again Yahweh called, the third time. He got up and went to Eli and said, 'Here I am, as you called me.' Eli then understood that Yahweh was calling the child, and he said to Samuel, 'Go and lie down, and if someone calls say, "Speak, Yahweh; for your servant is listening." ' So Samuel went and lay down in his place. Yahweh then came and stood by, calling as he had done before, 'Samuel! Samuel!' Samuel answered, 'Speak, Yahweh; for your servant is listening.' Samuel grew up. Yahweh was with him and did not let a single word fall to the ground of all that he had told him." (First Samuel 3:5-10,19)
Today's first reading was one that brought me back to the idea of surrendering all control and fulfilling God's will for our lives. I was blessed this weekend to spend some time with a dear friend of mine. Her and I spoke on the issue of discerning this very notion of where God leads us and what it is we are truly being called to do. Through very simple words Samuel reveals such an important message. By simply saying "Here I am" to the Lord it is permitting Him to work within and through us in ways that we can not understand.This message of surrender never becomes old. We must truly approach the Lord each day and say simply "Here I am"..Let us cling to this lesson that we learn from Samuel. May we strive to have a faith that is firm in knowing that the Lord is with us and calls each of us everyday. In times that we may lack clarity in our discernment may we follow the advice of Eli and say to the Lord.... "Speak, Yahweh; for your servant is listening". Trust through faith that the Lord will indeed speak to you in some way. Continue to surrender all you do to Him, have faith in His will, and strive for a willingness to truly be His faithful servant. Spend time before the Blessed Sacrament, in silent prayer, and be patient as you wait upon the Lord...assured that He is indeed with You. Lord tonight I pray that each of us can turn to You openly, honestly, and faithfully to say "Here I am". Let us be open to where You may lead us. Give us peace when we are confused, anxious, or worried about our circumstances. Lord meet us where we are at in our journeys of faith and help us see where it is You would like us to be. May we each begin our days saying "Here I am, Thy will be done". Amen. (C.C.)

No comments:

Post a Comment