Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Resting in God. By: C.C.


"Our hearts were made for You, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in you." (St. Augustine of Hippo)

   Along the spiritual journey there are moments of great peace and there is also a sense of restlessness that can present itself as we try and live in relationship with our Lord. The "peaks" and "valleys" of our spiritual lives remind us greatly of our Lord's passion. It is through this experience that we are able to see that our longing to lead a devout life is very much in union with the suffering of the Crucifixion and the glory of the Resurrection.
   Our God is one of peace and love, and our world is not always as such. As children of God we must understand that we are created for our Lord alone and that our true sense of joy, peace, and happiness can only come through Him. St. Augustine reminds of this truth and also offers us insight into the restless that we will experience until we rest in our Lord. Seeking rest and peace with God is something that is not fixed, but rather, it is something that is continuous.
   There are many times that I have felt restless in my heart and was greatly troubled by this. I felt that I was not fulfilling the Lord's will for my life, or that I have in some sense been lazy in my spiritual life. However, I turned to the Lord in these moments and asked Him what He wanted of me through this experience of restlessness. I embraced it and offered it all up to my Lord. As I sought God in these moments I realized that this restlessness was a way to draw me nearer into the heart of God. I recognized that the Lord wanted more of me, more of what I even thought I had to give. The interior battle with restlessness reminded me of my own broken and human nature and also of our unchanging and all loving God who longs to give peace to each one of us. 
  In our moments of restlessness may we each draw nearer to our Lord...recognizing that our true rest and sense of peace is only found in Him. May we seek ways daily to detach ourselves from seeking comfort in our surroundings and may we wait for the Lord patiently, in stillness, and in fullness of faith. Amen (C.C.)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment